Friday, June 12, 2009

Decietful Heart

Jer 17:9 "The heart is decietful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?"

This has been an ever increasing reality to me. This past couple of weeks my heart has been a lot like the dog from "Up".
It really doesn't know it's up from it's down. It is constantly unfocused and often easily dis GIRL!... distracted. It's so much like a raging beast when not in proper alignment with God.

I think "just follow your heart" or any other reference to having you heart be the driving force in your decision making is not only corny but is also a very stupid idea. My heart does not know what is best for it. I think it often doesn't even comprehend what it wants.

I'm finding more and more as time goes by that I need to, through my spirit, discipline my heart with the Word of God. Through this I can bring it into alignment not only with reality but with God's heart, which is by far the most satisfying place it can be in.

So don't follow your heart... follow God's Spirit and discipline your heart accordingly. You heart is not meant to be the decision maker. It's meant to compliment and empower the decisions already made.

Today you can either let your heart drag you around town, or you can have it on a leash following your spirit as you follow the Lord.

No comments: